Energy Passport: a Practical Guide

In Luxembourg, every property owner must have an energy passport. Also called "Energiepass" or "Energy Performance Certificate" (CPE), this qualitative label provides information on the energy performance of a building. Let's review the energy passport:

An Official and Compulsory Certificate

The energy performance certificate is compulsory in the Grand Duchy. This was set by the amended Grand-Ducal Regulation of 30 November 2007.

Concretely, it is an official document that evaluates each dwelling according to its energy efficiency: A being the highest class, I being the worst. The following are taken into account in the calculation:

  • CO2 emissions of the house or apartment,
  • primary energy needs,
  • heating needs.

The Energiepass makes it therefor possible to understand the carbon footprint of the property, especially for renovations or the sale.

In addition, the CPE makes it is possible to compare the performance of several buildings. This is very useful for people who are not experts, such as consumers. Moreover, an owner must be able to provide the certificate to any buyer or tenant interested in its property. Also, the energy class must be included in real estate listings.

How to Establish an Energy Passport?

If you own a house or apartment, you must apply to get an energy pass for your property. In order to so, you will need to send a request to the Ministry of Economy or Myenergy.

Indeed, only certified experts are able to set up this official report. They mainly include architects and consulting engineers who are members of the OAI (Order of Architects and Consulting Engineers), as well as experts accredited by the Ministry of the Economy. The owners then can pick an expert of their choice.

Once the audit is done, you will receive an original copy of the certificate. If you sell your property, you will need to return the original copy to the new owner. Similarly, a certified copy must be provided to any new tenant.

Good to Know

Regarding the establishment of the CPE, there are several elements to consider:

  • You will have to pay for the certificate, the cost varies according to the experts who establish it.
  • As it is compulsory, the government does not offer any grants to fund it.
  • The energy passport is valid for ten years and must be renewed after this deadline.
  • It must be requested for any new residential building, but also if any substantial modifications are made to the building or when there is a change of owner/tenant.
  • It is necessary to establish an Energiepass for each residential area (for example: one per apartment, in the case of a building)..
  • Whatever the result of the class is once the certificate is established, the owner is not required to make any energy renovation in its property. At least not directly.

New Requirements for Buildings Built After 2017

Finally, you must know that the Luxembourg government has set energy efficiency requirements for any residential buildings built après 2017. The goal is to achieve nearly zero-energy consumption, targeting the AAA class. We are talking about "NZEB", which means Nearly Zero Energy Building.